Judge Massei Sentencing Report     The Meredith Kercher Fund     The Murder Of Meredith Kercher Wiki     True Justice For Meredith Kercher     Judge Nencini Sentencing Report 

Last visit was: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:41 am
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:41 am
All times are UTC

JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY

Moderators: Nell, Ergon, Michael, Moderators

Page 1 of 1 [ 37 posts ]

Offline Ergon

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:30 pm   Post subject: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY

Attachment:
Judge Heavey judgement.pdf
I'll see if I can upload the Commission of Judicial Conduct PDF on Judge Heavey's admonishment here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Ergon

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Here's an analysis of Judge Heavey's transgressions done by The Machine, I think.

"The letterhead (letter to pres. Obama, members of Congress, State Department) gives the impression that the letter has been written on judicial stationary. It is quite clear that Judge Heavey is attempting to lend the prestige of his judicial office to this letter.
According to the unsealed judgement, Judge Heavey assured the Commission for Judicial Conduct that he would not lend the prestige of his judicial office by utilizing judicial stationary:
“Finally, Respondent indicated that by utilizing his judicial stationary, he lent the prestige of his judicial office. Respondent assured the Commission he would not do so in the future.”
Judge Heavey also assured the CJC that he would not speak publicly about the case:
“4. Also in his Self-Report, Respondent described speaking publicly on several occasions about Knox’ case. Respondent recognized that when he became a judge, he could no longer seek to influence a legal proceeding as he could do as a lawyer. Respondent assured the Commission he would stop speaking publicly about this matter.”
http://www.cjc.state.wa.us/Case%20Mater ... 20Stip.pdf
Despite giving the CJC the assurance that he would not speak publicly about this case, Judge Heavey has still spoken publicly about this matter on a number of occasions.
He gave a presentation about the case at the West Seattle Rotary Luncheon at Salty’s on Alki on 18 January 2011. The West Seattle Herald featured an article about Judge Heavey’s presentation.
http://www.westseattleherald.com/2011/0 ... heon-amand
Judge Heavey’s presentation at Salty’s was posted on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvpZnB96pE0
Judge Heavey also spoke publicly about the case at Seattle University on 4 April 2011. The West Seattle Herald featured a couple of articles about this event:
http://www.westseattleherald.com/2011/0 ... e-u-attrac
http://www.westseattleherald.com/2011/0 ... ence-q-and
Judge Heavey’s speech at Seattle University was posted on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2i5Slrg8ZQ
The Exceutive Director for the Commission of Judicial Conduct, Reiko Callner, can be contacted via e-mail:
rcallner@cjc.state.wa.us
For example, following his appearance at the Seattle U panel discussion about the Knox trial Heavey told local Seattle Fox News TV reporters that the Knox case was now falling completely apart because the independent investigators working in the appeal had discovered that there was never any DNA on the murder weapon knife in the first place. Heavey accused the Italian government of fabricating evidence to support trumped up charges against Knox without bothering to produce any evidence to support the claim."
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline guermantes

Links & Gallery Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:28 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Judge Heavey’s letter to President Obama

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57542308/Michael-Heavey-Letter

Attachment:
Michael Heavey's letter to President Obama.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:51 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Judge Heavey's professional misconduct

Statement of charges

http://www.cjc.state.wa.us/Case%20Mater ... %20SOC.pdf

Reply to statement of charges

http://www.cjc.state.wa.us/Case%20Mater ... Answer.pdf

Appendix A [pages 11-21]

Letter to Judge Claudia Matteini
Letter to the First President of the Court of Cassation Nicola Mancino
Letter to Prosecutor Giuliano Mignini

An excerpt from Michael Heavey's letter to Giuliano Mignini (p.21)

Attachment:
Judge Heavey to Mignini - letter.jpg

Attachment:
Judge Heavey to Mignini-letter-2.JPG

Top Profile 

Offline Ergon

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:24 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

"For example, following his appearance at the Seattle U panel discussion about the Knox trial Heavey told local Seattle Fox News TV reporters that the Knox case was now falling completely apart because the independent investigators working in the appeal had discovered that there was never any DNA on the murder weapon knife in the first place. Heavey accused the Italian government of fabricating evidence to support trumped up charges against Knox without bothering to produce any evidence to support the claim."

How did he know in April what the DNA report would say when it hadn't been published yet?

Thanks for the attachments, guermantes. Interesting, to see all the special pleading going on by a judge. The only good thing is he's announced he will not be seeking re-election (this year, I think)

ETA: I see that The Machine might be referring to a second UW panel later, so I'll have to amend my conjecture, honestly made.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Napia5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:53 am   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Oh, NOW I see the connection. Heavey and Knox must have taken the same creative writing class. Same "flower power" gobbledygook. It's a wonder he didn't follow his signature with a little heart or smilie face. This is from a judge?
Sorry, supporters, but this letter has 'Froot Loop' stamped all over it.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Nell

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 pm   Post subject: Judge Michael Heavey presentation - Amanda Knox: The Truth   

Judge Michael Heavey is a member of the group "Friends of Amanda" and a vocal supporter of Amanda Knox. He is a neighbour of Amanda's and his daughter and Amanda are friends. He believes her to be innocent of the murder of Meredith Kercher, or at least that's what he says.

He gave a presentation on March 28, 2012 in the Seattle Rotary Club at one of their Wednesday meetings.

The presentation lasts for approximately 20 minutes and after that, Judge Michael Heavey takes questions. The whole video is almost 35 minutes long and I felt admittedly sick watching it. For all those who feel the same way and simply cannot stand to sit through the whole video, we provide you with the transcripts. You will finish faster reading through it and you won't have to bear with the laughter from rotarians when Judge Heavey calls the Perugian court a "kangaroo court".

Amanda Knox: The Truth
Judge Michael Heavey presenting at Seattle 4 Rotary
March 28, 2012

[Starting at minute 00:29]
Jim McCurdy (President, Seattle Rotary): “It’s time for our main speech and here to introduce our speaker is past president Nancy Lucks. Nancy.”

[Starting at minute 00:40]
Nancy Lucks (Former President, Seattle Rotary): “Let’s welcome Justice Michael Heavey.”

[Starting at minute 00:50]
Judge Michael Heavey: “Thank you Nancy for the very kind introduction. And thank you rotarians for be willing to listen to me for a few minutes today. And thank you rotarians for all of your service that you rendered to our community, to our state, country and indeed the world. I honour rotary, I love the Four-Way Test and I love your dedication to public service.”

[Starting at minute 01:28]
“Groucho Marx once said: ‘I was married by a judge, but I should have had a jury’. [laughter in the room] So for the next 20 minutes, I’ll be a judge or maybe a lawyer and you be the jury. So raise your hand if you think Amanda Knox is innocent. [Judge Michael Heavy raises his hand] OK, that’s great. Put them down. Raise your hand if you don’t know, she could be involved or whatever. OK, please put your hands down. I am not gonna ask if anybody thinks she’s guilty, because I don’t think that’s probably the case. If you do, please keep an open mind.”

[Starting at minute 02:20]
“I am here today to convince you that Amanda Knox is absolutely 100% innocent. I used to get real angry about the case, but now it’s mainly I am just sad. I am sad because of what happened in Perugia, Italy, a sister city of Seattle. It is a city about 120 miles north of Rome in central Italy. Sad that a small group of incompetent and corrupt police have besmirched the reputation of good and honest police officers around the world. Sad that the small group of dishonest and corrupt police officers have ruined the lives of two good young people, wrongfully imprisoned Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito for four years and probably for as long as they live some people will believe that they might have been involved in the murder.”

[Starting at minute 03:41]
“I am going to tell you some facts that you probably haven’t heard before, that hasn’t been reported in the media in Seattle. I think you’re gonna find it very interesting. A little bit more background: 1969 I was a lieutenant in Vietnam in the first cavalry division. My assignment was a prisoner of war ... I ... uh ... I ..., my assignment was to ... was in being in charge of a prisoner of war interrogation unit. In 1976 I became a lawyer. I was a lawmaker serving in Olympia for fourteen years. I have been a superior court judge for the last eleven and a half years. As a lawyer and a judge, I have been involved in a hundreds of criminal trials. I’m a neighbour of Amanda’s, she is a friend of my oldest daughter. They carpooled to Seattle Prep High-school for four years.”

[Starting at minute 4:47]
“I’ve been closely involved with this case since almost the beginning. I’ve got involved for a number of reasons: One was the police theory just did not make sense. This is the theory: Two young college lovebirds having a romantic evening together, get up in the middle of the night, go over to Amanda’s house, team up with a drifter they did not know, sexually assault and murder Amanda’s friend and roommate. That does not make sense. That does not happen. I also became incensed to the lies about Amanda that were being released to the press by the police. At first I didn’t know what to make of it, so I asked my daughter. I said: »What do you think of Amanda Knox?« And she said »Amanda is the most genuinely kind person I know. She does not have a mean bone in her body.«

[Starting at minute 06:10]
“A quick timeline: November 1st, 2007, that’s the night of the murder. November 6, 2007, Amanda, her boyfriend and a local bar owner are arrested. November 25, 2007, killer Rudy Guede is arrested in Germany. October 2008, in a separate trial Rudy is found guilty. December 5th, 2009, Amanda and Raffaele are found guilty. November 2010, a new appeal judge is appointed. January 2011, the appeal trial begins. October 3rd, 2011, Amanda and Raffaele found not guilty.”

[Starting at minute 07:00]
“What happened to Amanda is a terrible injustice. Wrongfully locked up for four years, ridiculed, defamed, but that pales in comparison what happened to Meredith Kercher. This is a picture of Meredith Kercher. One of Amanda’s roommates and friends. She was a beautifully young woman with a bright future. On the night of November 1st, 2007, she was brutally murdered and sexually assaulted. She left behind a devastated family. This bright light went out. I don’t think it gets any worse than that.”

[Starting at minute 07:50]
“On November 6, 2007, the police called this press conference, based upon an all night interrogation of Amanda, they had arrested her, her boyfriend and a bar owner, by the name of Patrick. They announced 'caso chiuso' - case closed. The man on the left is the bar owner, Patrick Lumumba, ... kind of a small picture ... but ... , the police had a hunch, he was the killer, because he knew the victim and he knew Amanda. After a 14 hour all-night interrogation, they coerced Amanda at 5:45 am into naming Patrick as the killer. They applied rather standard interrogation techniques. Lying to her, good cop / bad cop, what we used to call in Vietnam 'Mat and Jab' (?), denied her food, water, most importantly denied her sleep. They rotated fresh teams of police officers to keep them fresh and to keep her in an extreme state of duress.”

[Starting at minute 09:10]
“Quick question: Does anyone believe that John McCain is a war criminal? I think not. But that’s what he signed a confession to in 1967 in a North Vietnamese prisoner war camp. What I’ve learned about interrogations there’s eventually a person who’s being put under pressure will tell the interrogator not the truth, but what they want to hear. The police wanted to hear that Patrick was the killer. The bar owner was the killer. The problem was, that was not true. Luckily for Patrick, he had an ironclad alibi and about two weeks later, he was released. They captured Rudy Guede in Germany, the real killer. Amanda and her boyfriend stayed in jail, everything else remained the same. This is not a whodunit mystery. This man, Rudy Guede, is the killer. In a separate trial he was convicted and sent to prison for 30 years. This is a no-brainer. This is what we call in King County a sexual violent predator, SVP. He should be locked up for the rest of his life. The evidence against him is overwhelming. He admits to being present during the murder. Her blood, his handprint. Her blood, his shoe prints. A vaginal swab of the victim has his DNA. He is a known burglar. He fled the country to Germany and even when he was found three weeks after the murder, he still had cuts in his hand. In his own words, immediately after the murder he went home, cleaned up and went out dancing at a disco to establish an alibi. The next day he fled to Germany. He doesn’t know Amanda or Raffaele. There’s a proverb in the bible The wicked flee when no one pursues. No one was after Rudy, nobody, and he fled to Germany. His story was he claim the victim and he were friends, that they were doing some heavy smooching and someone else, while he was on the toilet, came in and killed her. And he struggled with the man as he ran out the door. But I think the number one reason that tells me he’s the killer, besides all the obvious evidence, is that to the following question he didn’t have an answer. The question was »If Meredith was your friend, and someone else killed her, why didn’t you call the police or an ambulance?« He didn’t have a good answer. I submit only a killer would run. I submit a friend would try to save her, to help her. He is a sexual violent predator. He should be locked up for the rest of his life.”

[Starting at minute 12:45]
“This is the big mystery: Why Amanda? The police had announced 'caso chiuso'. They didn’t want to look like fools. They had already been made fools ... to look like fools by Amanda, because on her statement they arrested Patrick and they had to let him go. So, the real mystery in this case is why the police went after Amanda like a pack of jackals. Another mystery is why we, seeing a modern day witch trial happen right before our very eyes, why we didn’t see it. Why we ... turned our ... turned the other way. The police lied over and over. They destroyed evidence ... and in my opinion they planted evidence. The police fed a veracious tabloid media with lies about the evidence and lies about Amanda’s character. The number one red flag that Amanda’s first trial was bogus, is the following facts: Victim is found naked on the floor, underneath her body is a pillow that the killer placed there. And on that pillow case is a semen stain. Here is the fact you don’t know: The police did not test the DNA of the semen stain. During the trial the defence said »Judge, please test! Make them test ... the stain for DNA!« The prosecution vehemently opposed that request and the judge agreed, it should not be tested. This is a sexual assault and murder case and the police, prosecution and judge feel it is unnecessary to test the semen for DNA. Unbelievable, but true. I would submit that the individual that left that semen stain is the killer. That’s his signature. So the first trial was a sad joke. I would call it a kangaroo court, except that would be a step up and an insult to marsupials everywhere.” [Laughter from the audience]

[Starting at minute 15:30]
“So you might say »Judge, how do you get a conviction without any credible evidence?« And the short answer is you create a climate of hatred towards the defendant. In dealing with the media, the American rule is that prosecutors and police are not allowed to release any information to the media that would heighten the public condemnation of the accused. The reason to protect the defendants right to a fair trial and the presumption of innocence. It’s the same rule in Italy. Segreto istruttorio (translation: the confidentiality of preliminary investigation proceedings). Did I pronounce that right? Art? Thank you. So to get a conviction without evidence, you create a climate of hatred toward the defendant. They did this by using lie after lie about Amanda’s character and supposed evidence that never existed. They literally created a devil. By the time Amanda went to trial, this kind and gentle soul, was the most hated person in Italy. She never had a chance. December 5th, 2009, Amanda and Raffaele are found guilty. Sentenced to long prison terms. Although, as we all know, it wasn’t over. You may say, Judge, you are too close. You’re a neighbour, a friend, you are biased.”

[Starting at minute 17:05]
“OK, let me just ask you another question. What do democrat US Senator Maria Cantwell and former republican candidate for president Donald Trump have in common? And it is not that they have good looking hair. [Laughter from the audience] What they have in common is they both looked at the case and both publicly stated there is no credible evidence against Amanda. No axe to grind. That is the same conclusion of CBS, CNN, ABC, all of them got on board. The New York Times, The Seattle Times, The Christian Science Monitor, The Economist have all editorialised ‘there is no evidence against Amanda Knox’. It’s happening in Italy too. About a year before the acquittal one of the major magazines Oggi had a picture and right on the front it said INNOCENTE ... innocent. And also eleven members of the parliament in Italy wrote the president of Italy and say »Please investigate what’s going on in Perugia. There is no evidence against these young people. How are we going to compensate two young people for four years in prison? Please investigate, Mr. President.«

[Starting at minute 18:42]
“CBS hired a renowned Chicago investigator by the name of Paul Ciolino. He went to Perugia, investigated the case and I think he summed it up as »This is the railroad job from hell.« For whatever reason, an amazing thing, almost a miracle, happened in November 2010. A Perugia judge was assigned to handle the appeal. Right at the last minute, the powers in Rome appointed a northern Italian judge, Judge Hellmann, to preside over the appeal trial. Judge Hellmann has a stellar reputation in Italy as a judge. He is known for his integrity, his courage and his intelligence. He, an assistant judge and six lay professional jurors looked at this case intensely for eleven months. And he acquitted Amanda, ... they acquitted Amanda and Raffaele on October 3rd, 2011. In Italy, you can have two ways to be acquitted. One is not enough evidence to find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendants are guilty, the other reason is they are innocent. And that’s what he said. They did not commit the crime. He noted in his written opinion the substantive non-existence of evidence. There it is. There is no evidence against these two. And as to their character ... and asked ... and he almost said in a little bit different way what I said four years ago, it doesn’t make sense. He said »Two young people, good and open to others, to suddenly chose to do evil for evil sake, just like that, in fact was not probable.« This is The Seattle Times on October 5th, 2011. A picture of Amanda and her mother at Sea-Tac. ... I’m almost finished. ... Amanda Knox is a Seattle native. She was born here, raised here, she grew up here. She graduated from one of our High-Schools. She was then and is now an honour student at the University of Washington. She is one of our own. She should not be laughed at, ridiculed or defamed with inferences that she may have been involved. That is simply ... should not happen. If you hear that, I ask all rotarians, if you ever hear something like that apply the Four-Way Test and say »Is that the truth?«, »I don’t think that’s the truth.« Because there is more here than just being locked up for four years. It’s what people ... her character was assassinated and it did damage by the hands that said »Yeah, I don’t know. [Judge Heavey puts his hand up] She might have been involved. Possible«. So I hope I have convinced you that Amanda Knox is absolutely 100% innocent and she is exactly like my daughter said ... four years ago »Amanda is the most genuinely kind person I know. She does not have a mean bone in her body.« Thank you all so much for listening. [Clapping from the audience]

[Starting at minute 22:59]
Man asks: “Did you have time for questions, Greg?”

First questioner: “Thank you sir. Some of us weren’t aware of the differences in the judicial system between Italy and the United States until we read so much about this case. But you talk about the corruption in Perugia. Is this something that’s ... uh ... widespread? Normal? Is this very unique to ... uh ... justices ...?

Judge Michael Heavey responds: “I really can’t speak ... there are commentators in Italy who believe there are defendants that are charged with murder all over Italy and then later released, because the police messed up. There .. it’s somewhat a dysfunctional system in a lot of ways. But, you know, we have wrongful convictions in this country too, so I’m ... I’m not gonna make any judgements. Italy has tremendous sets of laws. They are different than ours, but they’re just sometimes not observed. Amanda had the ... not the right to have an attorney, which she asked for, but under their law, she had to have an attorney present when she was interrogated. They didn’t do that. She had to ... under their law ... have an interpreter, because she didn’t speak Italian. Wasn’t done. She had to have her interrogation audio-recorded or videotaped. It wasn’t done. So those were some things that happened right at the beginning. Great laws, but they weren’t put into effect, they weren’t observed. Cause there was this one focus of ‘we’re out to get Patrick, so we’re going to ignore all this, because she’s not the real person we’re going after’.“

[Starting at minute 24:44]
Second questioner: “I recall all of what you said and I had to defend her here and in Italy and the damage has been done. I don’t know if in her lifetime that can change. But speaking to her kindness, I met her recently and talked to her. She still holds a great love for all the people of Italy. She has no hate at all in her bones. And ... there’s some talk in Italy, and it’s just talk, that the prosecutors there have much too much power, far beyond of what our prosecutors have, and it’s talk, it’ll go away. This same prosecutor was on inditement himself for a similar case just north of there. And the fellow who commit the murder had been arrested just north of there for a similar break-in, using the same modus here, breaking a window. And we’ve been to that ... I have been to that site, and it’s on a dead-end street, where in the night you can get in. And he was a friend of a ... people living in the lower level of the house, so he knew his way around that house. There’s all kinds of evidence. Thank you very much. I appreciate your remarks.”

Judge Michael Heavey responds: “Amanda loves Italy. There was a big call for ... to boycott Italy. Donald Trump actually called for that and she said »No, I love Italy. That would hurt too many people. That wouldn’t hit the people that had caused the damage.«”

[Starting at minute 26:04]
Third questioner: “Thanks for joining us today. I am sure you are aware of the book The Monster of Florence.”

Judge Michael Heavey: “Absolutely.”

Third questioner: “I’ve never really understood this case, until I read that book. I just want to invite you to comment briefly and if you would encourage others to read that.”

Judge Michael Heavey responds: “Monster of Florence, thank you sir, Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston will be a George Clooney movie here in a year or two. They’ve already started shooting. Uh ...but, it is an excellent, it was in The New York Times bestseller list that really puts this whole thing into perspective and how this prosecutor gets manipulated by his own police officers. Uh ... my character is ... I used to think he was evil incarnate but I just now see him as in the Hogan’s Heroes. Remember Sergeant Schultz? [Laughter from the audience] That’s this prosecutor, but he gets manipulated by these police officers who have an agenda that I don’t know where it comes from.”

Woman’s voice: “Judge Heavey, all the way to your right. (inaudible)

[Starting at minute 27:06]
Fourth questioner: “Thank you for your talk. It’s pretty obvious that the communications campaign and the strategy outside the courtroom had an awful lot to do with the eventual legal result. I wondered if you can talk a little bit about how you marshalled that part of the litigations strategy and made it as successful as it was.”

Judge Michael Heavey responds: “Well, uhm ... you know ... I didn’t have anything to do with any of that really. I was a member of a group called Friends of Amanda in which were Anne Bremner, Tom Wright, to his uh ... uhm ... like me a fellow parent of a prep student friend of Amanda. We started websites, we got out the word where we could. Uh ... the whole thing about the Italian lawyers was ‘don’t do anything behind the scenes’. That if America says something, that will infuriate the Italians. I personally believe that the Italian ambassador was paying attention. When Maria Cantwell got on tv and said ‘there is no credible evidence’ and when Donald Trump said ‘Let’s boycott Italy’. I believe he called Rome and said ‘We got a problem here. I don’t know if she’s guilty or not, but if she is, you better get your A-team in there’ and I think that’s why they send judge Hellmann in there. If she was gonna be found guilty, he could support it. And if he ... if she was innocent, he had the courage to stand up and take the flack from the citizens of Italy and that’s exactly what happened.”

[Starting at minute 28:35]
Fifth questioner: “You didn’t mention drugs at all. Was Amanda and her boyfriend involved at all in using drugs?”

Judge Michael Heavey responds: “Amanda and Raffaele smoked marihuana on the night of the murder. Yes, they did. And I’ll say this: they are guilty of pre-marital sex and smoking marihuana. [Laugther from the audience] And if we all did four years for that, we be ... that be ... uh ... [Laughter and clapping from the audience] ... might be (inaudible) ... I’m not condoning it, I’m just ...”

Woman announces: “Jim Moore”

[Starting at minute 29:12]
Sixth questioner: “Thanks very much for clarifying this case. My brother in law is a mayor of a small town in the boot of Italy.”

Judge Michael Heavy: “Really?”

Sixth questioner: “And he has a very (inaudible) view of the lower court system. As mayor his political opponents attacked him several times, cases were brought, with the help of police etc. in terms of the corruption and other things he was accused of. His cases were upheld, but always overturned on appeal, so apparently the appeal process is a little more successful than the lower court - at least by the telling of my brother in law.”

Judge Michael Heavy responds: “I’ve heard that the ... the ... that the lower courts are overturned on appeal 50% of the time. And ... and a lot of times it’s just political. And it’s just accepted. It’s your duty, if you’re anybody, you’re gonna be found in court accused of something. And you maybe convicted with the local prosecutor, but by the time you get to an appeal, that’s where the real system comes through. And it’s ... it’s what we would call dysfunctional. Uh ... uh ... and they have ... they’re at war, between the main ... uh ... the legislated branch and the executive and the judiciary. I mean ... uh ... and the prosecutors are considered part of the judiciary branch of government. And they’re just ... uh ... and the politicians can’t be critical of the judiciary system, which is very left winged ... judicial system ... very middle to right legislated system. Uh ... and ... it’s just ... uh ... it’s not a good state ... state of affairs. If you get arrested in Italy ... and I would recommend ... until they ... until they lock up sexual violent predators, uh ... I wouldn’t recommend particularly going. But I ... if you get stopped, if you get questioned, just say ‘I want to go to the embassy’. Just say that. That would be my recommendation.”

[Starting at minute 31:14]
Seventh questioner: “There are two major murder cases in the press right now. One in Afghanistan and one in Florida and there is an enormous amount in the media to prejudice public thinking, one way or the other. Could you comment on that?”

Judge Michael Heavey responds: “Well, I think we’re all aware of the Afghanistan and what ... uh the Florida case? Oh, Trevyon Martin, uh ... yes ... I mean that’s ... uh ... those are ... what’s kind ... that’s not good for either defendant. Uh ... Bales ... Sergeant Bales will be tried in a military court. Uh ... that’s good in terms of public opinion, but bad in terms of the result they’re gonna feel compelled to deliver. So ... uh ... it is ... uh ... it’s all unfortunate and I really can’t say much more than that. But thank you for asking.”

Woman announces: “Yes, Laura Rearman”

[Starting at minute 32:16]
Eight questioner: “Thank you very much Judge Heavey. I thought I heard you say at the beginning that there was more that we might have been able to do as citizens as this case broke. And if so, can you tell us what more we might have done to alleviate for you?”

Judge Michael Heavey responds: “I ... I don’t think I’ve said that. I ...”

Eighth questioner: “Oh, thank you.”

Judge Michael Heavey: “I ... I wouldn’t want to say that. Uh ... I said something to the effect that we had a global witch trial going ... uh uh ... a witch trial local in a medieval city ... literally ... »I don’t like the way she smiles«. That’s the kind of testimony you would get in trial. »She said an inappropriate word in this place.« It’s just how they went after witches in the 1700s in Salem. That went global, because of the sensationalisation and as a world we bought off of them. And we didn’t look at it with any scepticism. Now, that’s just the way it is. Uh ... I don’t know ... I like to think ... I mean, I saw that, because I knew the rule against you don’t release any information to the media that would heighten the public condemnation of the accused. Not too many people know that. That’s a basic tenet of how you try criminal trials and that had been violated. That is one reason I picked up on it and I wouldn’t expect anybody else to see that ... to see that issue. Thank you.”

[Audience applauding]

Source: Judge Michael Heavey's presentation at Seattle Rotary Club, Amanda Knox: The Truth

In case you find any mistakes, spelling or otherwise, please let me know and I will correct the transcript. Thank you.

I will later add some screenshots of Judge Heavey's presentation, because some of the slides contained additional "information" like "junk forensic science". He never mentions any of the forensic evidence in his presentation though.

-----------------
EDIT: This post has been updated April 6th, 2012 1:50 PM (Australian time)
There were a few mistakes, the most important were the Italian term 'segreto istruttorio' and in Heavey's answer to the sixth question I transcribed "traditional system" instead of "judicial system", "tenant" instead of "tenet" (thanks Ergon!) and one sentence that never made sense was "no extra grime", because what he said was actually "no axe to grind". Other mistakes were minor (as in "their war" when Heavey said "they’re at war" or the second questioner said at the beginning of his question "I recall everything you say" - or that's what I hear - and not "I reckon"). That's not a complete list of corrections, but it covers the most important mistakes, I believe.

If you spot anything else, please contact me or post your comment.

-----------------
EDIT: Screenshots added, April 7th, 2012
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Nell

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

I didn't know what Judge Heavey was referring to when he talked about the Four-Way Test. I had never heard of it before. I found the answer via Google:

Quote:
The Four-Way Test
of the things we think, say or do

1. Is it the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build goodwill and better friendship?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Ergon

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Thanks, Nell. This is really great!
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Ergon

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

The link to the Rotary Club Video not available any more, here's an updated one
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Ergon

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Sorry, Nell, I looked at your first link, not the second one.
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:46 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

March 29, 2012

CAMPAIGN CONTINUES TO CLEAR KNOX'S NAME AT HOME

By Linda Byron

SEATTLE - Attend a Rotary Club meeting anywhere around Western Washington, and you’re likely to run into Michael Heavey of Seattle doing a presentation titled simply: “Amanda Knox: The Truth.”

Heavey gave the presentation to the Rotary Club of Seattle this week and began by doing a poll: “So, raise your hand if you think Amanda Knox is innocent,” he asked the audience of nearly 400 people. More than half of the audience raises a hand.

Heavey is a King County Superior Court Judge, but he insists he is not wielding the gavel at these events.

“Whenever I speak about this case, I’m speaking totally in my personal capacity, only, not my judicial capacity,” said Heavey.

Heavey lives four blocks from Knox’s childhood home in West Seattle. His daughter and Amanda were friends at Seattle Preparatory School, a private Jesuit high school on Capitol Hill.

“They carpooled together for four years; they both graduated in 2005,” he said.

But that connection doesn’t fully explain Heavey’s crusade to convince all who will listen that Amanda is innocent. In fact, he can’t remember ever meeting her before she became a worldwide media sensation. He said he was shocked when she was accused of murdering her British roommate, Meredith Kercher, in Perugia Italy.

'“The first thing I said was ‘whoa!’ Then I said, “That doesn’t make any sense.”'

Heavey said he soon learned there was no evidence linking Amanda or her accused co-conspirator, Raffaele Sollecito, to the murder.

Heavey joined a small group of supporters dedicated to countering what they termed the “character assassination” of the two young lovers.

“That was our purpose, to get the word out that this was a frame up job, a witch hunt going on…literally a medieval witch hunt that went global with our modern media,” said Heavey.

Heavey was invited to listen in when Amanda called home from her prison cell once a week. And the two exchanged letters.

“I’ve been moved by the articles about your Rotary Club presentations,” Amanda wrote in one. “What’s a Rotary Club anyway?”

And Heavey didn’t just write to Amanda. He wrote protest letters to Italian judges and disciplinary authorities. He wrote them on official King County Superior Court stationary, knowing that he could get in trouble for trying to influence a pending case. Then he reported his own potential wrongdoing to a judicial oversight board and was reprimanded.

He said he regrets none of it.

“I’m honored that I got admonished because it will be in the records of the Judicial Conduct Commission that Judge Heavey wrote letters to Italy to try to correct a very unjust situation,” he said.

After that, Heavey wrote his letters on personal stationary. On May 11, 2011, he wrote a letter to President Barack Obama expressing outrage that the State Department failed to protect Amanda’s rights as a U.S. citizen.

“They saw her paraded through the streets like a captured animal….and they did nothing,” said Heavey.

Heavey is no stranger to conflict. People describe him as “passionate”, “controversial” and "quirky.” Asked his reaction to those terms Heavey said with a smile, “I think they’re all true of me.”

Heavey likes to push boundaries.

He became a mountain climber at the age of 59. Last August, on his fifth climb up Mt. Rainier, Heavey and his companions carried a sign with a message written in Italian.

Heavey said when translated into English the sign reads: “History is waiting for you at the top. Free the innocent children, Amanda and Raffaele.” Heavey took a picture of his climbing companions holding the sign, but decided not to release it to the media until after a verdict had been reached in the appeals trial.

Last October an appeals court in Perugia concluded that Knox and Sollecito were innocent and ordered their immediate release from prison. But, Heavey’s crusade didn’t end because he said that even in Amanda’s hometown, some still suspect she was involved in the murder.

"That is absolutely not right; to have an innocent person have this pall, this fog, surround her--that somehow she's a bad character and a murderer," he said.

Heavey said he’s always surprised by the number of hands that stay down when he asks how many people in the audience believe that Amanda Knox is innocent. Heavey said that he will continue his presentations as long as people still want to hear what he has to say.

Heavey finally met Amanda last October. About ten days after she was released from prison and returned to Seattle, she dropped by his house to thank him.

Earlier this month, Raffaele Sollecito came too-for a small party at Heavey’s home.

“We were told by his (book) agent that no one could take any pictures,” said Heavey.

But Heavey said Raffaele had a camera and asked someone to take a picture of the two of them. Later Raffaele sent Heavey the photo, who released it exclusively to KING 5 News.

Heavey said Raffaele hugged him and was extremely grateful. “He was just “grazie”, “thank you, thank you, thank you,” said Heavey.

Everyone wore name tags at the gathering. In the photo, Raffaele’s reads “Raffa,” and it has a little heart drawn next to it.

KING5 NEWS
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:55 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

From the KING5 News report:

Earlier this month [March 2012], Raffaele Sollecito came too - for a small party at Heavey’s home.

“We were told by his (book) agent that no one could take any pictures,” said Heavey.

But Heavey said Raffaele had a camera and asked someone to take a picture of the two of them. Later Raffaele sent Heavey the photo, who released it exclusively to KING 5 News.

Attachment:
Heavey and Sollecito in Seattle.JPG

Attachment:
Judge Michael Heavey and Raffaele Sollecito in Seattle, March 2012.JPG

Attachment:
Raffa in Seattle.JPG

KING5 NEWS

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:59 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Everyone wore name tags at the gathering. In the photo, Raffaele’s reads “Raffa,” and it has a little heart drawn next to it.

Attachment:
Raffa name tag.JPG

KING5 NEWS

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:03 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

AMANDA KNOX'S LETTER TO JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY

Heavey was invited to listen in when Amanda called home from her prison cell once a week. And the two exchanged letters.

“I’ve been moved by the articles about your Rotary Club presentations,” Amanda wrote in one. “What’s a Rotary Club anyway?”

Attachment:
AK's letter to Heavey.JPG

KING5 NEWS

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:08 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Last August, on his fifth climb up Mt. Rainier, Heavey and his companions carried a sign with a message written in Italian.

Heavey said when translated into English the sign reads: “History is waiting for you at the top. Free the innocent children, Amanda and Raffaele.” Heavey took a picture of his climbing companions holding the sign, but decided not to release it to the media until after a verdict had been reached in the appeals trial.

Attachment:
Message in support of Knox and Sollecito.JPG

KING5 NEWS

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:24 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

July 26, 2012

JUDGE: BREAKING RULES TO ENSURE A JUSTICE FOR KNOX

by Phil Ferolito

King County Superior Court Judge Michael Heavey, who became a staunch defender of American Amanda Knox from the bench, said in a speech Thursday in Yakima that he was willing to break a few rules in order to see justice served.

Standing in front of a large crowd at the Yakima Convention Center, he told Downtown Rotary members how he was compelled to support wrongfully convicted murder suspect Knox from his Superior Court office, and that despite allegations of misconduct for doing so, he did the right thing.

"I always felt and still feel this way, is that I did the right thing — imperfect at times — but still the right thing," he said.

Knox, now 26, made national headlines when she and her boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, were accused of cutting the throat of her roommate, Meredith Kercher, in Italy where she was a student. After serving four years — she was sentenced to 26 years, while he was sentenced to 25 years — their convictions were overturned on Oct. 3, 2011.

Heavey was admonished by the state Commission on Judicial Conduct for using his office to advocate for Knox, firing off letters on her behalf to political leaders and the Italian embassy. After his support was echoed by U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and Donald Trump, the Italian embassy began looking into the matter and a new judge eventually was appointed to preside over the case.

But on Thursday, Heavey was more interested in discussing why he believes Knox, his daughter’s friend, is innocent rather than taking credit for his role in bringing problems in the case to light.

"I’m here today to prove to you that Amanda Knox is 100 percent innocent," he told the crowd that included an Italian reporter who followed the case and a English physician who worked on the case. "I’m going to tell you things that were not reported, that were not heard."

He said the case against Knox didn’t make sense. He said his daughter described Knox as "a genuinely nice person. I know she does not have a mean bone in her body." He said Kercher was found sexually assaulted with her throat cut in her apartment. Police followed the theory that it was the work of Knox and her boyfriend.

Police believed the story of the actual murderer, Rudy Guede. DNA evidence and his blood put him at the scene. But he told police the he had come into the apartment and saw Kercher bleeding and then a man carrying a knife ran past him and cut his hand.

"Why didn’t he call the police?" Heavey asked. "He didn’t have an answer." Knox was coerced into giving testimony authorities wanted to hear, said Heavey, who served in Vietnam as part of a group working with POWs, who were often brutally interrogated by the North Vietnamese.

"What I learned about interrogation is that it’s not necessarily the truth that people tell when put under certain pressure, but what the interrogator wants to hear," he said.

Heavey said evidence against Guede was overwhelming, and that police, the prosecutor and judge didn’t think it was important to test a semen stain found on a pillow case at the scene.

"I would suggest that the person who left this stain is the killer," he said. "That’s his signature." Guede eventually admitted to going home to wash after the murder, and then going to a dance club to establish an alibi.

Heavey said four computer hard drives containing potential evidence were destroyed by authorities, and that Knox was demonized by the media before going to trial.

He showed an Italian newspaper headline that read "Case Closed" that was published at the time Knox and her boyfriend were arrested.

"By the time Amanda Knox went to trial, this genuinely nice person who doesn’t have a mean bone in her body was already hated by the Italian people," he said. "It’s literally a witch trial that would have taken place hundreds of years ago, but it happened right in front of our eyes."

Heavey gave a few scenarios as to why authorities tried to pin the murder on Knox and her boyfriend. They range from trying to save face to suspicion that Guede was an informant. "It’s all speculation," Heavey said.

The mishandling of the case doesn’t lead to a conclusion that the legal system in Italy is corrupt but rather sheds light on corrupt individuals, he said.

"Wrongful convictions happen all over the world," he said. "What it boils down to is prosecutors and police are not immune to being psychopaths." And as far as Knox goes, "she should be honored for the strength she displayed those four years," he said.

YAKIMA HERALD REPUBLIC
Top Profile 

Offline Michael

Site Admin

Highscores: 113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:38 am   Post subject: King County Judges Get High Marks   

King County Judges Get High Marks

Natalie Singer - Seattle Times staff reporter wrote:
King County judges get high marks

Attorneys were asked to complete a survey for each judge they practiced before and were familiar with. The survey included nearly 5,000 responses from 1,500 lawyers...

The responses indicate some obvious conflict among judges and those arguing cases before them.

One of those judges is Patricia Clark. She ranked lowest on an average list, with a score of 3.05

Other judges at the bottom of the list include Michael Heavey, Carol Schapira, Laura Middaugh and Mary Roberts.

SEATTLE TIMES
Top Profile E-mail 

Offline Michael

Site Admin

Highscores: 113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:08 am   Post subject: Steve Shay on Judge Michael Heavey   

Steve Shay on Judge Michael Heavey

Steve Shay - Reporter for the West Seattle Herald wrote:
July 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM

This article states that Judge Heavey's daughter was a friend of Amanda Knox. I have spoken to his daughter and she told me that in no way does she want to associate herself with her father's activities or Amanda Knox.

Steve Shay

SEATTLE TIMES COMMENTS SECTION

Top Profile E-mail 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:05 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

October 12, 2012

Judge Michael Heavey continues his Rotary Club tour, giving the same talk over and over again. His most recent - at La Jolla Golden Triangle Rotary Club (California).

Attachment:
LaJolla Rotary Newsletter - 1.JPG

Attachment:
LaJolla Rotary Newsletter - 2.JPG

Top Profile 

Offline Nell

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:47 am   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

The Columbian: Kent judge says ethics chief sabotaged Wulle's re-election bid

Quote:
By Paris Achen
Columbian Staff Reporter

Friday, January 11, 2013

A Kent-area judge disciplined in 2010 for trying to influence the Amanda Knox murder trial in Italy has accused the head of a state judicial ethics agency of misconduct, including sabotaging Clark County Judge John Wulle's re-election bid.

In a Jan. 3 letter to the Washington Supreme Court, King County Superior Court Judge Michael Heavey accused Reiko Callner of violating her role as executive director of the Washington Commission on Judicial Conduct by spearheading an investigation of Wulle and then manipulating the media to help shatter Wulle's re-election bid.

He said the behavior is part of pattern of Callner's interference in due process for judges accused of misconduct.

"Commission powers have been usurped by Ms. Callner and have been wrongfully used to campaign against a sitting judge running for re-election," Heavey wrote. "The members of the commission have acquiesced in this highly unprofessional action."

Callner denied the accusations and said they appeared to be retaliation for the commission's September 2010 discipline of him. Heavey was admonished for using his office to advocate for Knox, his daughter's friend. He sent letters on Knox's behalf written on his court stationery to judges in Italy and other officials, according to commission documents.

"Judge Heavey is on a kind of personal campaign against me," Callner said Thursday in a phone interview with The Columbian.

In a telephone interview Thursday, Wulle said he wasn't consulted about the complaint, but Heavey had asked his attorney, Josephine Townsend, about his case.

As executive director, Callner is not allowed to initiate investigations against judges. Only the commission — a panel of 11 members charged with investigating complaints against other judges — may initiate an investigation, and they must vote to do so. Judges, attorneys and citizens make up the panel.

Heavey claims that Callner initiated an investigation of Wulle for violations related to rude behavior toward defendants more than two years before the commission authorized it in July 2011. Heavey based the accusation on a March 2, 2009, courtroom video, the earliest of four videos used to prosecute Wulle.

Callner denied that she initiated the investigation; she said the commission did. The date of the video doesn't signal the beginning of the investigation, she said.

Heavey also accused Callner of derailing Wulle's bid for re-election by feeding information about Wulle's case to the press and portraying him as "a bully" in The Oregonian before Wulle had due process.

Callner says the "bully" reference was taken out of context. She said she used the term when explaining to an Oregonian reporter why rude behavior by a judge is an ethical violation. If a judge is rude to a defendant, the defendant cannot respond because he or she risks angering the judge who is deciding his or her fate. She said she didn't call Wulle a bully.

Wulle has complained that Callner notified the media about commission charges against him before notifying him.

He said he also was denied many of the rights defendants in his courtroom receive. For instance, his attorney was subject to different discovery rules, and he was limited in which witnesses he could call, he said.

"There is no due process for judges under Ms. Callner, and people let her get away with it," Wulle said.

Callner said Wulle was notified of the charges well before the press. He may have learned about the date of his hearing from the media, scheduling that came later, she said. She informed a reporter at The Columbian of the hearing date on the same day it was posted on the commission's website because the reporter had previously requested it.

"It's public information," Callner said.

Wulle was reprimanded Dec. 14 by the commission for his conduct toward defendants on four separate occasions during a three-year period.

He will be required to undergo an anger management evaluation and counseling "to the satisfaction of the commission," should he want to serve as a judge after his term ends Friday. He said he plans to go into arbitration and mediation after he leaves the bench.

David Gregerson, who unseated Wulle in an Aug. 7 primary election, will be sworn into office Monday.

The complaint also accused Callner of misconduct in the prosecution of King County District Judge Judith Eiler

Heavey's office on Jan. 8 mailed The Columbian a copy of his complaint.

Top Profile E-mail 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Judge Mike Heavey and Italian blogger Frank Sfarzo - comrades in arms?

Attachment:
Sfarzo and Heavey.jpg

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

March 12, 2013

Judge Heavey continues his Rotary tour, talking himself in circles:

Rotary Club of White Rock
Date: Mar 12, 2013
Speaker: Judge Michael Heavey
Amanda Knox: The Truth

King County Superior Court Judge Michael Heavey was charged by the state Commission on Judicial Conduct, or CJC, for speaking out in support of Amanda Knox. Now retired, Judge Heavey tells us what went wrong with the Italian Justice system.

http://www.clubrunner.ca/portal/Speakers/SpeakerDetails.aspx?accountid=260&eid=422156&tid=4

Client Success Stories: Mike Heavey and his Amanda Knox presentation

http://www.leonovsky.com/speech-coaching-stories/mikeheavey/
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:45 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

March 27, 2013

AMANDA KNOX TOLD TO STAY AWAY FROM RETRIAL

By Greg Milam

Attachment:
Heavy after SC verdict.JPG

Judge Heavey, who attracted criticism for writing to the Italian authorities about the case while still serving in his role in the US, says he remains convinced the couple are innocent and that the prosecution case is flawed.

When asked if Knox might return to Italy for any part of the new proceedings, he said: "She may. The intelligentsia of Italy knows she is absolutely innocent.

"But a good proportion of the population, because of what's called confirmation bias, what they've been told so many times, they can't tell you why, but they think she's guilty and that is not a healthy climate for her to be in."

Attachment:
Judge Heavey speaking to reporter.JPG

SKY NEWS

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

The PR advocacy campaign for a murder suspect continues.

Former Judge Mike Heavey gave a presentation for the CLE on March 21st.

March 21, 2013

Live Teleconference CLE Seminar:

Amanda Knox: The Pathology of Wrongful Convictions

Speaker: Judge Mike Heavey (Ret.)
Time: March 21, 2013, 4:45 - 6:15 PM

Amanda Knox and The Pathology of Wrongful Convictions is a riveting and entertaining 90-minute CLE program, presented by retired Superior Court Judge Mike Heavey.

Mike Heavey has been an attorney, Washington state lawmaker, and a King County Superior Court Judge with over 12 years in presiding over hundreds of criminal and civil cases. But it is his work as a volunteer championing the innocence of Seattle neighbor Amanda Knox that inspired him to get involved in the judicial evaluation of innocence.

http://lawreviewcle.com/seminars/amanda-knox.html

Mr. Heavey is still scheduling appearances on "The Pathology of Wrongful Convictions."

April 18, 2013

East King County Bar Association:

"The Amanda Knox Case - The Pathology of a Wrongful Conviction"

Speaker: Judge Mike Heavey (Ret.), King County Superior Court
Time: April 18, 2013, 12:00 - 1:30 PM

Judge Heavey's presentation will cover the Amanda Knox case from its beginnings through the most current developments as a case study in the pervasive pathology that leads to wrongful conviction.

http://www.ekcba.org/
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

April 5, 2013

The Hawaiʻi Innocence Project will present its first event on wrongful convictions and DNA evidence on Monday, April 8 at noon in the Moot Courtroom. The event will focus on the case of Amanda Knox, the American-born college student who was convicted, exonerated, and is now being retried for murder in Italy.

Speakers will include Seattle Judge Michael Heavey, who was involved in Amanda Knox's case, and HIP participant Sommerset Wong '13, who has researched DNA exonerations and the effects of wrongful convictions in the context of serial killings. Virginia E. Hench, Director of the Hawaiʻi Innocence Project, will moderate.

https://www.law.hawaii.edu/newsletter/april-5-2013
Top Profile 

Offline louiehaha

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:55 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Heavey calls the prosecution, the Perugia police, and the Court of Cassation criminals in his updated presentation, and says the Supreme Court has disgraced themselves and their country. According to @NJusticAnywhere, this is his 64th Rotary Club presentation: http://fb.me/Ks3IUnwR

@29:10

Quote:
The criminals are those who perpetuated a false accusation against two good young people. These police and prosecutors lied, cheated, and stole the innocence of two good young people. They are the criminals. Why did the Supreme Court of Italy send this case back? Here is the answer <clip of Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men “You can’t handle the truth”>. In an effort to save face, the Italian Supreme Court joined the prosecution and the police of Perugia, and perpetuated these false accusations. The Italian Supreme Court has become criminals themselves. They continue the abuse of two good young people. My prediction, this goes back for a third trial, there won’t be too much fanfare, and the verdict will be not guilty, insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. The Supreme Court, the Court of Cassation, does this to save face, but in reality, in my opinion, they have disgraced themselves as jurists, they continue to disgrace their country. Is this justice? I think not.
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

April 30, 2013

Judge Heavey to speak about Knox case at Rotary Club of Redmond meeting

Quote:
Judge Mike Heavey will present his speech, "The Amanda Knox Case — The Pathology of a Wrongful Conviction," at the Rotary Club of Redmond meeting this Thursday [May 2, 2013].

The lunch meeting will be held from 12:15-1:30 p.m. at Redmond Marriott Town Center, 7401 164th Ave. N.E.

REDMONT REPORTER
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:43 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

In this interview, Heavey again calls the prosecutors and the police "criminals".

May 2, 2013

WHY SOME PEOPLE WILL NEVER BELIEVE AMANDA KNOX IS INNOCENT

By Jamie Skorheim

A retired King County Superior Court judge tells KIRO Radio's Ron & Don Show that the Italian court reviewing Knox's appeal studied the case for 10 months.
The Kercher family is locked on the idea that Knox and Sollecito are guilty, says Heavey, and once people have their mind locked on something, it's very hard to change.

"It's a thing called confirmation bias. It's a thing that we all have when we believe something, it's very hard to shake it. It doesn't matter how many facts that you tell them," says Heavey.

"Unfortunately for Amanda, a lot of the world and especially the people in the Kercher family, believe that she's guilty and that's all they've been told over and over. They cannot see the truth of the matter."
As for the recent Italian court decision to overturn Knox and Sollecito's acquittals, Heavey says that shouldn't cast doubt on their innocence; it's just an attempt to save face.
Heavey says the real criminals are the prosecutors and cops who told lies about Knox and Sollecito, and unfortunately some people still believe them.

MY NORTHWEST
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:13 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

June 1, 2013

Amanda Knox's lawyer (sic) to give talk

Amanda Knox’s attorney (sic), Mike Heavey, will speak at the Indian Wells Country Club on Monday [June 3] at noon.

A retired Superior Court judge, Heavey will talk about the failure of the Italian justice system for convicting his Seattle neighbor Knox and Raffaele Sollecito of a murder they didn’t commit and the case that led to their acquittal.

MY DESERT
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:37 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

August 15, 2013

Judge Michael (Mike) Heavey (ret.) has donated $200 to Sollecito's defense at the upcoming new Appeal trial, due to start in Florence on September 30, 2013.

Attachment:
Michael Heavey donation.JPG

http://www.gofundme.com/3bct8o

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:30 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

JUDGES FOR JUSTICE

Judge Michael Heavey (ret.) is the founder of Judges For Justice.

He is "a close friend of Amanda Knox’s fam­ily and has been an out­spo­ken advo­cate for her inno­cence. Since his retire­ment, he has pre­sented speeches across the west coast on the Knox case..." (Judge Heavey)

"...In 2013 [he] founded Judges For Jus­tice, a non-​​profit orga­ni­za­tion com­mit­ted to pro­vid­ing inde­pen­dent, impar­tial, and expe­ri­enced judi­cial analy­sis of cases of alleged innocence."

JUDGES FOR JUSTICE

As stated on the organization's website, Jim Lovering (a.k.a. "Charlie Wilkes" [his online name]), the founding member of Friends of Amanda (FOA), is on the Board of Directors of Judges for Justice.

Quote:
Jim Lover­ing
Board of Directors

Jim Lover­ing is a free­lance writer with a pro­fes­sional back­ground in mar­ket­ing. His clients have included law firms as well as major play­ers in the finan­cial and pro­fes­sional ser­vices indus­tries. Jim devel­oped a per­sonal inter­est in crim­i­nal jus­tice and wrong­ful con­vic­tions after fol­low­ing a num­ber of US cases in which clearly inno­cent peo­ple were con­victed. In 2008, he stud­ied media accounts of the Mered­ith Kercher mur­der inves­ti­ga­tion and became a strong sup­porter of Amanda Knox and Raf­faele Sol­lecito. He devel­oped the con­tent for the Friends of Amanda web­site, and he worked with the fam­ily of Amanda Knox to ensure that the media and the pub­lic had accu­rate infor­ma­tion about what is con­tained in the evi­dence files. Jim is active in a num­ber of online forums devoted to crim­i­nal jus­tice and social issues.

http://judgesforjustice.org/our-team/

NB: Please note that both Heavey, and Lovering are not impartial advocates, because they work entirely from the perspective and interests of the Knox family.
Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:02 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

October 2, 2013

On October 2, Heavey appeared on the CNN Piers Morgan Live show along with Raffaele Sollecito and John Q. Kelly.

Attachment:
Sollecito, Kelly, Heavey on Piers Morgan Live.JPG

A video of his brief interview can be viewed HERE.

http://judgesforjustice.org/

Excerpt from the CNN transcript of the Piers Morgan Live episode, Oct 2, 2013:

Attachment:
Heavey on the Piers Morgan show, Oct 2, 2013.JPG

MORGAN: Judge Heavey, you've always been a strong supporter of Amanda Knox is -- it's a very divisive case. Many people have strong opinions on both sides of this. Why do you feel so strongly with your exemplary legal background that she is 100 percent innocent?

Attachment:
Heavey, guest on the Piers Morgan show.JPG

MIKE HEAVEY, CO-FOUNDER, JUDGES FOR JUSTICE: Mr. Morgan, five years ago, October of 2008, less than a year after the murder of Meredith Kercher, Rudy Guede, overwhelming evidence. Meredith's blood, his thumb print. DNA all over her body and on her clothes, admits to being there, was convicted and sentenced to 30 years in prison, later reduced on appeal.

He is the sole killer. This two young people have been victims themselves. My heart goes out to the Kercher family. I cried for the Kercher family. I pray for the Kercher family. But the fact is these two young people are victims themselves. They have been terrorized by this process that got way out of control and it's just a crying shame.

There is absolutely the second trial. The judge said, "There is no evidence."

MORGAN: Judge Heavey, thank you for those words. [...]

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1310/02/pmt.01.html

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:17 am   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

October 3, 2013

Michael Heavey's second donation ($200) to the Sollecito Defense Fund:

Attachment:
Michael Heavey donation - 2.jpg

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 am   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Michael Heavey's third donation ($100) to the Sollecito Defense Fund. He has donated a total of $500 so far.

Attachment:
Judge Heavey donation 3.JPG

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 am   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

Judge Michael Heavey was a member of a panel of "experts" at a congressional briefing on Amanda Knox case, which was held in Washington, DC, on October 31, 2013

October 28, 2013

CONGRESS TO CONVENE BRIEFING ON AMANDA KNOX

By Nicki Rossoli

On Thursday two Washington State Democrats — Sen. Maria Cantwell and Rep. Adam Smith — are hosting a panel discussion about the third trial of Knox, who served jail time in Italy for murder before her sentence was overturned.

According to a letter sent from the offices of Cantwell and Smith, Thursday’s “educational briefing” will feature analysis and insight from three expert panelists. Retired King County, Washington, judge and co-founder of Judges for Justice Mike Heavey will give an in-depth analysis of the case. Steve Moore, a retired FBI supervisory special agent and criminal investigator who has become a Knox supporter, will discuss the investigation and analyze the DNA evidence in this and similar criminal trials. John Douglas, a former FBI special agent, criminal profiler, and author of “Law & Disorder: The Legendary FBI Profiler’s Relentless Pursuit of Justice,” will discuss his analysis of this international criminal trial.

ABC NEWS

October 31, 2013

WASHINGTON POLITICIANS HOLD BRIEFING ON AMANDA KNOX CASE

By KING5 News

Attachment:
Michael Heavey at a congressional briefing Oct 31, 2013.JPG

As the retrial for Amanda Knox unfolds in Italy, Senator Maria Cantwell and Representative Adam Smith are keeping close watch on the case.

Today the two politicians from Washington state sponsored a briefing at the U.S. Capitol Visitor's Center to raise awareness about the trial.

Senator Cantwell has previously voiced concerns about whether the Italian justice system has treated Knox fairly. Today, Cantwell hosted a panel discussion of legal experts, one of whom is a retired Seattle judge who served with Cantwell in the state Senate.

Michael Heavey told the congressional staffers who attended the briefing that Italy was embarrassed when the appeals court threw out Knox's conviction in 2011, in part because that meant she had been wrongfully imprisoned for four years.

Attachment:
Judge Heavey, talking to Linda Byron In Washington, DC.JPG

KING5 NEWS

Top Profile 

Offline guermantes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:15 pm   Post subject: Re: JUDGE MICHAEL HEAVEY   

January 1, 2014

Amanda Knox is now advertising Judges for Justice on her blog:

Attachment:
Judges for Justice ad on Knox's blog.JPG

Top Profile 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 37 posts ]